Thursday, February 28, 2008

The New Thriller


I've seen Fall Out Boy live, a few times. And their shows have been as explosive and energetic as fireworks in a tin can. I didn't even care that they sacrificed the sound of their songs for their charismatic energy, because quite frankly they SOUNDED awful. But then I stopped being a teenager.

So, I had no interest in their upcoming Live CD/DVD, aptly titled "****."

But then, I stumbled across the awesomest cover song I've heard in a long, long time, which just so happens to be on the tracklist for said release which is slated for April 8. This song itself is not recorded live, but it's enough reason to make me want to buy whatever it comes packaged with.

If you didn't already jump the gun and click the link, it's Fall Out Boy covering "Beat It" better than Jacko could ever have originally hoped for. And finally, FINALLY, John Mayer actually SHOWS OFF why people keep saying he is THE guitar god of our generation. He joins the FOB here to lend his finest axe wielding chops and takes it to a whole other deck in the ball park. And the cameo is rather fitting, since Eddie Van Halen was the puppeteer pulling the 6 strings on the original with Jacko. So we can count on Fall Out Boy getting nose changes and lending songs to any future Free Willy soundtracks, and John Mayer continuuing to rule.

And for being the chubbiest AND dorkiest rocker alive today, FOB singer Pat Stump croons a mean soulful vocal hook for a white boy with a guitar. I guess it really DOESN'T matter if you're black or white. Which is funny, because we have no idea what Michael is anymore, do we?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dominique (Nikki) Minor said...

This is interesting. Although, I was not "thrilled", but surprisinly I don't think any other band could pull it off because FOB has the has the flair and infamy to give the song some justice.

I was really excited to hear some guitar pyrotechnics from Mayer. I've always thought he was fantastic guitarist and proficient lyricist ("No Room For Squares" and "Heavier Things"), but I get a lot of flack for it. It is true he can be boring. But I like to look it this way: I imagine John Mayer as a post-Cream/Derek-and-the-Dominoes-neckbeard-sporting Eric Clapton.

That being said...

Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal" > FOB's "Thriller."

February 29, 2008 at 8:46 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, let's get this straight:

Patrick Stumph is flat out SEXY.

There will NEVER be a band that can match the heaveny sound that is Fall Out Boy.

Fall Out Boy is THE BEST BAND TO EVER WALK THIS PLANET!


Am i typing slow enough for you, you ijit?!

DO NOT mess with Fall Out Boy.

April 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home