Monday, February 18, 2008

Aren't vampires supposed to suck?


Vampire Weekend has quickly become one of my new fav bands for a few reasons.

1. They sound like Paul Simon got a peppy Red Bull buzz and began jamming with The Shins on a tropical island while tossing back coconut rum drinks with colorful umbrellas in them.
2. One of the best tracks off their debut is more or less about how crunk rapper Lil' Jon is one of the few dudes you can trust ("Oxford Comma").
3. They have no apparent fear of wearing pink sweaters and slim khakis.
4. This spazzy one-shot video for "A-Punk" pwns! I rest my case.





Further Listening...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dominique (Nikki) Minor said...

Thanks for the Sheffeild links :) Funny you should post this, I'm reviewing it for my school paper soon. I'll probably post it later. Although, I should mention that I like them, but I think the album is little too hyped up. I've been reading reviews, and some people seem to think this band is the second coming of Christ. Don't get me wrong, the album is good, but I don't think it's best of the year. As far as one of the best single of the year "A Punk" is a strong contender. It is arguably one of the best tracks I've heard all year. But I don't this band, or their album, anything more than what it is...meaning that it's just some New England prepsters who listened to a couple of Afro-pop albums and started a band and managed to put out a fairly decent debut.

PS: Yes, that video is quite fantastic.

PPS: Also, check out Operator Please's "Just A Sing About Ping Pong" --another incredibly infectious jam.

February 18, 2008 at 7:05 PM 
Blogger Dominique (Nikki) Minor said...

Oh yeah...if you like John Lisi. Check out the North Mississippi All-Stars. Very blusey, very cool. Deborah Coleman is nice too.

February 18, 2008 at 7:12 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home